Random Nights

Jason & Si* photo: kaishin chu © 2008

I don't know about you, but I love random nights. Tonight we decided to go to a local Italian restaurant for dinner and drinks at 9:30pm. We got there at 10pm. Si*, the gracious owner and host seats us and we begin a usual habit of ordering drinks, salad and dinner. Then after dinner drinks happen, which Si* comps my ice coffee and Baileys - which by the way was served up as a scrumptious baileys coffee martini. Jas ordered grappa. Then came Limoncello on the house (fresh made), which was wonderful and we were 2 of 5 remaining customers. We were invited to sit up at the bar by this point, and was served arancello (orange'cello) - amazing stuff. Here we chatted with the other remaining customers (friends of Si*) as well as the chef, Steph*. It was a good time had. Our arancello kept getting topped off it seemed, which is good and bad. ( I had noticed at one point that the bottle was empty, oh dear god!). Then came the tequilla soda shot, then offers of more drinks which Jas and I manage to get out of. The other three were businessmen from the UK and Ireland, great fellas. We were convinced, along with Si*, to back to their hotel, the Holiday Inn, for a night cap and some Irish bar karaoke.

When we got there, it was closed, being quarter to 2 already. So we proceeded to Ryan's Bar, but it was closed also, so we had the taxi take us back to Bar Street, and ended up at our usual, Cohiba Bar and Grill. Oddly that night, the other establishments were either closed or closed down by the numerous police and camoflauge uniformed men. The rumor is that it's due the Olympic crackdowns. What gives?! The Olympic is 2000km away from here in Beijing! Any way, I digress. At Cohiba we ordered our last drink and played a game of pool. I had no idea there was a pool table at the back! Our Irish friend was done for the night, so it was mainly the Italian against the Canadians. Those of you who know Jason well, he does not like pool/billiards, but he humored us (mainly me) and played, which he fared decently despite contesting. In the end, by fluke mostly, I won the game. Wahoo! I haven't played in a while, and it was sweet! I must admit, I did wonder if I played better after drinks.... hmm.... Also, I got my first taste of Italian men, and how hands on they can be.... haha.

This random, unexpected night brought us to meet new friends and get to know Si* better, as well as one step or two closer in insight to Italy, and I got to practice what little I know of Italian and Italian men. haha. We were also invited on one night getaway along with Si* and his wife, we have till Sunday to decide whether we can join or not. So wonderful ;)

Thanks to Tony, 'Mary' & ' Susan' from the Western European contingency, for the fun night, as well as Si and Steph, and maybe Dean Martin and the odd Harry Connick Jr. songs to top the night off.

Comments

Popular Posts